Monday, October 21, 2019

Aquatika - beta version - Part 14 - Chapter 1: The Wilderness


I’m standing on top of the final ridge. From the rocky peak, I can glimpse the dark blue of the Sudia Ocean. Towards the east, perhaps no more than fifteen kilometers away, the slender, white towers of Lucero are reflecting the Sun. Even though it’s still possible to encounter a patrol, I’ve never heard of anyone getting caught so close to the destination.
For about fifteen minutes, I rode the log along the river, then stirred it towards the other bank. The patrol was left behind, unable to catch up with me. Once I’d stepped onto the other bank, I squeezed as much water as I could from my garments, then I walked briskly to keep my body warm until they would dry on my body.  Soon, I found a pass going east. One hour later, I was climbing the final ridge. And here I am, in the late afternoon, with Lucero in my sight. There is a narrow path leading into the valley, all the way to an asphalt road that follows the Sirenian southern coast to the edge of the Wilderness.
“Venko!” I shout, raising my right fist towards the sky in the traditional salute of victory. The echo repeats my word several times, approving it with enthusiasm. Then I begin my descent along the rocky trail.
***
The sun has set. I’m already walking along the streets of Lucero, surrounded by tall buildings and bright lights. My coarse attire and the wrapped-up sword tied on my back are silent witnesses of my success. The people who see me know it. They can easily recognize someone who has just passed the test. I suppose my unshaven beard and wild hair add to the picturesque of my unusual appearance. All the successful candidates look more or less like this when they arrive in the city. I don’t care anymore. I only need to walk a kilometer or so until I reach the local headquarters of Aquatika. What follows after that, the ceremony, the dinner, and the rest, all are going to be pleasant experiences.
Men and women look at me with respect, some even smile and bow in my direction when I pass in front of them. I smile back and nod curtly. Becoming a master is an important milestone, but it's only a stage in the never-ending journey towards enlightenment taken by all the Aquatika practitioners. New obstacles will soon stand in my way. When this happens, I'll do my best to keep going, as I've always done. However, for the next few days, I just want to relax and enjoy being an Aquatika master.
Icarus is just rising into the night sky when I glimpse the Aquatika headquarters ahead. It is an imposing castle, surrounded by a deep moat and placed in the middle of a circular park full of blue pines. Its outer wall is made of granite and shaped like the base of a large pyramid with each side about one hundred meters long. Four imposing towers mark the corners of the defense perimeter. Above, a smaller, white pyramid with dozens of triangular windows shines against the dark sky. The streets are full of people in this area, and I know they have come to see me, to see the end of my test. Aquatika students and instructors keep open a narrow path, so I can walk unimpeded to the finish line.
My tired body has found new energy. My joints and muscles still feel the pain of the long journey, but it doesn’t matter anymore. The ordeal is going to be over soon. All around me, the crowd is cheering loudly. Purified by the faint starlight from above, I keep going until I’m finally in front of the Aquatika building.
Before I have the chance to step onto the bridge leading towards the castle, the front gate opens, and twenty masters come to meet me. Solemn trumpet music can be heard from the speakers mounted on the walls, augmenting the solemnity of my arrival. The cheers and claps fade down. The crowd is almost silent now. Thousands of eyes are gazing at me intently, full of admiration and respect. The ceremony of investing a new Aquatika master takes place only a few times a year. It’s always an important event, broadcast on radio and television in Lucero and all Sirenia.
Of course, they knew I was coming to Lucero. Their cameras must have seen me since I was descending the mountain slope. It’s good the intercepting patrols play by the same rules as us, without the help of modern technology. Otherwise, nobody would ever pass this test. The whole survival adventure is a big hit on television, not only in Sirenia, but also across the Blue Federation. Even many people abroad follow it.
The twenty masters, dressed in the traditional blue uniforms, make a straight line in front of the castle. Then they bow slowly in front of me, accepting me as one of them. I do the same, presenting my respect for their past achievements. A few moments later, a familiar figure emerges from behind the gate, also wearing an Aquatika uniform. His badge is visible on the left side of his chest: the badge of a supreme master.  The man passes the row of masters, stops in front of me, and says:
“Congratulations, Kolin! In the name of Aquatika, I am honored to offer you the title of Master!”
I reply:
“Thank you, Supreme Master Anh! I am deeply humbled by this achievement. I will continue to work hard to maintain and improve our long tradition!”
Anh comes closer. His hand sticks a circular badge to the left side of my chest. The image of a black bird with yellow eyes and a yellow beak shines on it. We bow to each other; then we bow to the group of twenty masters. The crowd’s cheer is filling the night again. I can see several television cameras focusing on me from the sidewalk. Dozens of reporters describe the live event a little farther. The ceremony is over.
I step towards Anh and give him a long hug. I stay close to him for a few long seconds. I stay close to the man I’ve got to see after all these years as my second father. In the loud cheers and applause of the crowd, I finally let him go. Together, we step onto the alley that leads to the castle. The masters follow us a few steps behind. As soon as we are all behind the fence, the gates close.
I whisper close to Anh’s ear:
“I was so close to failing…”
“I know, he says. But you’ve found a way out. That’s why you are now a master.”

(to be continued...)

Books by Marian C. Ghilea:
BUTTERFLY'S DREAM: https://bit.ly/2PM63uU
TIDES OF AMBER: https://bit.ly/2HfcHVB
 

No comments:

Post a Comment